We apply the science of psychology in assisting individuals and families in the pursuit of their goals. We strive to maximize their happiness and to help them live more effective lives. We work with individuals, couples, and families of any race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation. We have experience with all age groups including children, adolescents and adults.
We use a cognitive behavior therapy model, which teaches our patients to recognize their dysfunctional thoughts and to change them, allowing them to eventually become their own therapists. We also teach mindfulness, which is an effective treatment for many psychological problems. We have been in practice for over 30 years.
Fully licensed in Maryland, we have written many journal articles as well as having co-written a textbook on Cognitive Behavior Therapy. We were also selected to participate in the groundbreaking NIMH study comparing Cognitive Behavior Therapy to medication for the treatment of depression.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Mindfulness Therapy
Areas of Specialization:
- Chronic Pain
- Gay and Lesbian Issues
- Habit Control Problems (eating, smoking, alcohol and other substance abuse)
- Human Sexuality and Sexual Dysfunction
- Mood Disorders (including anxiety, depression, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and phobias)
- Personality and Interpersonal Problems (including couples and family issues)